Pulled BBQ Carrots on Handmade Arepas
Plant-based diets are here to stay. A plant-based diet emphasizes whole, minimally processed foods. To some, a plant-based diet may be completely avoiding any animal bi-products (vegan), while to others, it may mean a diet that consists of seventy to ninety percent plants but still contains some meat or animal products. Essentially, a plant-based diet limits or avoids animal products and focuses on plants such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, seeds and nuts.
For many, plant-based diets, especially ones that eliminate all animal products are intimidating. Morrison Healthcare chefs understand this, and many have a passion for making delicious plant-based meals that have familiar flavors or styles.
This recipe, Pulled BBQ Carrots on Handmade Arepas, is a result of a few experiments within the kitchen. Enjoy this healthy and tasty dish!
For the Pulled BBQ Carrots
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 med yellow onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1.5 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- To taste sea salt & black pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire
For the Arepas
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
For the Carrots:
- Heat a sauté pan on medium heat and add avocado oil. Add the onions and carrots and sweat lightly for 1-2 minutes. Add seasonings, tomato paste, cider vinegar + Worcestershire sauce and simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Then remove from the heat to keep carrots from overcooking.
For the Arepas:
- In a bowl mix, the warm water, sea salt and masa harina until dough is formed. Split into 6 even portions and by hand form into discs about a ½ inch thick. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and get a sheet pan with parchment ready to finish the arepas after browning. In another sauté or cast iron pan, heat the avocado oil and the sear both sides of each of the arepas until golden brown. Transfer to the sheet pan and place in the oven to finish cooking for another 15 min.
For the Smashed Avocado:
- Place the diced avocado in a bowl and add fresh lime juice and salt. Smash gently with a fork until combined
- Cut arepas in half, add avocado to each side, then evenly distribute the pulled carrots. Top and enjoy! Garnish with freshly grated radishes.
Save it for later! Download the Pulled BBQ Carrots on Homemade Arepas Recipe.
If you didn’t share it on social, did it even happen? Be sure to snap a photo and share your experience if you give this recipe a try. Tag us on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so we can see all the magic.