Healthy Tuna Stuffed Avocado
Looking for a new breakfast/lunch addition or afternoon snack? This recipe utilizes the health-boosting ingredients of avocado and tuna fish to satisfy your hunger!
Avocados are packed with nutrients including fiber, potassium, magnesium, folate and vitamins B6, C and E. They also contain monounsaturated fats (also known as “good fats”), which may support heart health. Avocados are also a great source of beta carotene, which helps with cancer prevention and improves immunity.
Hot peppers contain capsaicin, which is the element that gives peppers their heat. Research suggests that capsaicin has been shown to suppress the growth of prostate cancer cells.
Tuna is an affordable source of protein that is readily accessible canned at the grocery store. Tuna also contains selenium, magnesium, potassium and Omega 3 fatty acids. Be sure to look for tuna that is packed in water, not oil, to avoid unnecessary fat and calorie intake.
Key Techniques & Helpful Hints
- This is a great start to all kinds of stuffed avocado ideas, chicken salad or egg salad can be used in place of the tuna.
- To make an entrée salad, place a bed of greens in a large serving bowl. Top with tuna salad, cut avocado into small pieces and add to the top of the salad.
- Avocados tend to turn brown very quickly. To help slow this process, keep the pit with the unused portion and wrap securely with plastic wrap.
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 (4.5 oz can) white albacore tuna packed in water, drained
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cherry tomatoes cut in half (for topping)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Scoop out some of the avocado from the pitted area to widen the “bowl” area. Place the scooped avocado into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mash it with a fork.
- Add the tuna, bell pepper, jalapeño and cilantro to the mixing bowl. Pour lime juice over it. Stir it all together until everything is well mixed.
- Scoop the tuna into the avocado bowls. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place ½ of the stuffed avocado on each serving plate.
- Top with cherry tomatoes.
Save it for later! Download the Healthy Tuna Stuffed Avocado Recipe.
If you didn’t share it on social, did it even happen? Be sure to snap a photo and share your experience if you give this recipe a try. Tag us on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so we can see all the magic.