Melon Duet Bisque
Cantaloupe is low in saturated fat and sodium, and very low in cholesterol. One cup of cantaloupe has just 35 calories!
Honeydew is an excellent source of Vitamin A; it is also rich in antioxidant flavonoids such as beta-carotene.
The recipe ingredients, ginger and lime juice are great salt substitutes that add tons of flavor with little to no sugars, sodium, or calories.
Key Techniques & Helpful Hints
- This is the perfect soup for a hot summer day, light refreshing and bursting with sweetness.
- You can make individual soups if you only have one kind of melon on hand.
- This recipe can also be used as a base for smoothies, blend all ingredients, and add ½ cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt.
- For a preparation twist, finish off the soup with a swirl of vanilla Greek yogurt and sprinkle with thinly sliced fresh mint.
- 1/2 medium peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped cantaloupe (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 medium peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped honeydew (about 12 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger mint sprigs (optional)
- In the blender or food processor, purée the cantaloupe and add half of the lime juice and half of the ginger. Place in a bowl.
- Rinse out the blender or food processor. Purée the honeydew in the blender, add the remaining lime juice and ginger.
- Simultaneously pour 1/2 cup of each melon mixture into opposite sides of a soup bowl.
- Garnish each serving with a mint sprig if using. Serving size is 1 cup.