Carrot Ginger Apple Salad
This salad is perfect for a side dish and can make a great topping for your favorite chicken, turkey or veggie burger. In addition, it is bursting with nutrients!
- Apples are rich in phytonutrients such as flavonoids and phenols, and a single apple contains as much as 5 grams of fiber. Insoluble fiber helps remove LDL cholesterol from the digestive tract, and soluble fiber, called pectin, reduces the amount of LDL cholesterol produced in the liver.
- Look for firm apples with brightly colored skins. Always wash apples before eating them; buy organic and local whenever possible.
- Fresh carrots provide a gorgeous golden orange color and are a great source of beta carotene which helps protect against certain cancers. Carrots are also high in Vitamin A which helps maintain health of the eyes.
- Ginger is touted as a spice that can be used to treat nausea, motion sickness, gas and upset stomachs.
Key Techniques & Helpful Hints
- Store apples in a plastic bag in the coldest part of the refrigerator for several weeks or even months. Check regularly for firmness.
- While more than 7,000 varieties of apples are grown around the world, only 15 varieties account for 90 percent of domestic apple production.
- Substitute ripe pear for the apple for unique fall variation or try adding shredded beets to the salad.
- Get creative with different chopping techniques. This recipe features grated carrots and thinly sliced apples. For different texture try chopping the carrots and apple and add some pistachios to jazz it up, this would pair well with a grilled chicken breast or fish.
- Fresh Ginger is packed with flavor, you can mince it, grate, juice depending on what you are making. You can buy ginger fresh, dried, caramelized and powdered forms
- 1 medium apple, granny smith, thin strips (julienne)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup raisins, dark or golden
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Using a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, stir well and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup.
Save it for later! Download the Carrot Ginger Apple Salad.
Looking for Another Recipe? Try our Roasted Tomato Salsa.