August 1, 2019
Roasted Tomato Salsa
Roasted Tomato Salsa
Tomatoes are the perfect summer treat! Whether you are putting them in a salad, on a sandwich or like today’s recipe, in a salsa you can’t go wrong with this delicious food!
Red tomatoes contain lycopene, which gives them their red color and may be associated with lowering the risk of certain cancers and heart disease. Tomatoes are also excellent sources of vitamin C.
Chili peppers/spices contain capsaicin which is an antioxidant that contains numerous health benefits and also boosts metabolism. Research suggests that capsaicin has been shown to suppress the growth of certain types of cancer cells.
Adding herbs/acids/spices like the cilantro, lime juice, and chili powder in place of salt adds tons of flavors with little to no sugars, sodium, or calories.
Key Techniques & Helpful Hints
- Best tomatoes to use: Roma, red tomatoes, green tomatoes and or tomatillos
- Without a blender?! Finely chop the roasted tomatoes and combine with remaining ingredients to make a chunky style salsa.
- If you like hot salsa, add the other half of the jalapeño.
- Not a tomato fan? Simply switch out the tomatoes for fruits such as mangoes, melons, peaches, or pineapple.
- Looking for an easier preparation? Leave all the ingredients raw! Raw tomatoes, peppers, and onions will provide a bright, refreshing flavor and a crunchy texture! 6. Use this salsa as a pizza base for a zesty alternative to tomato sauce!
Ingredients: Makes 12 servings
- 5 peeled, diced, seeded, tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons (about ½) minced jalapeño pepper
- 1/3 cup finely diced green onions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place tomatoes, jalapeños, and green onions into a medium-sized bowl. Toss the vegetables with olive oil until completely coated.
- Lay vegetables onto a baking sheet.
- Roast the vegetables until browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool the vegetables completely.
- Place roasted vegetables inside the base of a blender or food processor. Add the remaining ingredients to roasted vegetable mixture. Blend on low speed, until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Cool until ready to use. Serving size is 3 Tablespoons.
Save it for later! Download the Roasted Tomato Salsa.