September 18, 2020
Golden Beet Noodles with Apples & Mint
Have you spiralized yet? The vegetable noodle trend is all about increasing vegetable intake in a fun way! Get trendy with this beet “noodle” salad paired with apples and mint!
Beets are one of nature’s most nutritious and healing foods. They are rich in the B vitamin, vitamin C, and dietary minerals like manganese, potassium, magnesium and iron.
Apples are a great source of fiber pectin. One apple has 5 grams of fiber.
Pistachios, like all types of nuts, are sources of monounsaturated fat. A moderate intake of monounsaturated fat is linked with good health benefits. In addition, these nuts also contain fiber, protein, and magnesium.
Hemp Seeds or “Hearts” have had the shells removed, making them easier to digest. Each serving boasts with protein, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids which are great sources of heart healthy fats!
Key Techniques & Helpful Hints
- Beets come in multiple colors including red, golden, and “candycane.” If available at your grocery store or farmers market, get a variety of each color to create a rainbow!
- Vegetable spiralizers are both inexpensive and simple to use! Use this recipe as a great way to get comfortable with your new kitchen tool and get creative with what fruit or vegetable noodle you can create next.
- Vegetable noodles are a great replacement for traditional pasta as noodles can be eaten raw, sautéed, and baked/roasted. Try multiple preparations to determine your favorite or even try a combination of cooking techniques for a textural difference.
- The noodles and dressing can be chilled for two to three hours in advance for maximum flavor. The noodles and apples may brown, but the lime juice will help prevent the oxidation process.
- For a non-veggie preparation: Top salad with a lean protein such as grilled chicken or salmon and feta cheese. The combination of the salty feta, sweet apples, and tangy mint will excite your taste buds!
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 6 golden beets, stems removed
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped mint
- 3/4 cup toasted pistachios
- 2 cups drained, rinsed canned garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 peeled, minced garlic cloves
- Wash beets and apples under cool running water to remove excess dirt and debris. Remove beet stems and refrigerate for a later use.
- Carefully remove the skins from the beets and the apples with a vegetable peeler. Using a vegetable spiralizer, slice beets and apples into spiral noodles. Place noodles into a medium bowl and toss with fresh chopped mint. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the Dressing: Combine all ingredients into a 1 cup liquid measuring cup or small bowl. Whisk until fully incorporated. Gently toss noodles and mint with dressing until the noodles are evenly coated.
- Transfer noodles into a large serving bowl. Add pistachios and garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and toss lightly to combine. Garnish with hemp seeds.