Grilled Salmon Salad with Citrus and Lentils
Beans and legumes are one of the richest sources of plant protein. Not only are these food groups beneficial to our health, but they also taste great. This recipe brings the flavor of lentils to the next level when paired with citrus and salmon! Think of this recipe for a light and fresh, nutrient-dense meal.
Lentils hold large amounts of soluble fiber which helps reduce blood cholesterol and the risk of heart disease and stroke. A 1/2 cup serving of legumes provides 90% of the recommended daily intake of folate, which is needed for the formation of red and white blood cells.
Salmon is a great source of protein due to its ability to protect bone health and help maintain muscle mass. Salmon also carries a high omega-3 fatty acid content, which may lower your risk of heart disease and reduce inflammation.
Making homemade salad dressing/vinaigrette is a great way to control your sodium and calorie intake. Dijon mustard and lemon juice are great flavor enhancers, eliminating the need for the salt shaker.
Key Techniques & Helpful Hints
- For a vegan preparation twist, omit the salmon and replace with a citrus marinated tofu and increase the portion size of the lentils to 1 cup.
- If you are anxious to try lentils or if you’re not sure you are going to like the flavor, mix equal parts lentils with brown rice, quinoa, or bulgur wheat to please your palate.
- Don’t feel that salmon has to be the base protein of this salad. Feel free to include another light white fish such as snapper or cod to pair well with the citrus flavors.
- This lentil salad is a blank canvas that holds great potential to intrude seasonal produce.
Other flavor combination ideas include:
- Winter: Roasted Butternut Squash & Arugula
- Summer/Early Fall: Stone fruits: Peaches, Plums, Nectarines, or a combination of the three!
- Fall: Pumpkin & Ginger
- Spring: Apricots, Grapefruit, or Rhubarb!
For the Lentils:
- 1-1/2 cup lentils
- 1-quart water
For the Salmon:
- 24-ounce fresh salmon fillet
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free 17 seasoning
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- For the Lentils: Sort and rinse the lentils to remove any dirt or debris. Bring the water to a boil, add the lentils, and simmer gently until the lentils are soft, approximately 30 minutes. Drain and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the Salmon: Lightly brush the salmon with olive oil. Season the salmon with the 17 seasoning before grilling. Grill the salmon skinless side down first (skin side up), each side should be firm and opaque with grill marks. Internal temperature should be 145°F. When the salmon is cooked, remove from the cooking surface, place on a sheet tray and place into the refrigerator until it’s ready to use.
- For the Dressing: Whisk lemon juice, dill and mustard in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil to form an emulsion. Add the diced bell pepper, cucumber, onions and lentils.
- To assemble each salad: Scoop 1/2 cup lentils into the bottom of a serving bowl. Place 1 each (4 oz.) portion of grilled salmon on top of the lentils. Top with dressing as desired and serve.
Save it for later! Download the Grilled Salmon Salad with Citrus and Lentils Recipe.
If you didn’t share it on social, did it even happen? Be sure to snap a photo and share your experience if you give this recipe a try. Tag us on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so we can see all the magic.