Kale Salad with Asian Vinaigrette
What’s all this buzz about kale?! Have you been noticing more kale in grocery stores, in convenient stores, or on restaurant menus? Learn how to make a simple kale salad tossed with an Asian vinaigrette to reap the benefits of this leafy green!
Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet. Only 33 calories per cup, this super-nutritious leafy green may provide significant health benefits, including cancer protection and lowered cholesterol.
Three servings of leafy greens each day have been found to slow cognitive loss by 40 percent.
Key Techniques & Helpful Hints
- The best way to ensure you have everything you need to prepare delicious meals is to keep a well-stocked pantry. When you cook at home you can prepare healthy, nourishing food using quality, fresh ingredients—much better than convenient or fast food, which is often loaded with calories, fats, sodium and added sweeteners.
- Creating a healthy salad in your own kitchen does not have to be a time-consuming chore, but will require some planning, which may even make your life easier in the long run!
- Rubbing kale ensures the release of all its nutrients and softened the leaves.
- Top a salad with grilled salmon, tofu or chicken breast for quick and healthy dinner.
- Not a huge fan of kale? This salad works great with spinach, or romaine lettuce as well. Try a combination of greens depending what you have on hand.
- Try these salad additions:
- Edamame for extra protein and crunch.
- Shredded cabbage and carrots make a great substitute for the kale if you are looking for unique Cole slaw type salad.
For the Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® perfect pinch® Salt-free Garlic & Herb
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Salad:
- 6 cups chopped kale or baby kale
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper, ¼ inch
- 1/2 cup mandarin orange segments, drained
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- For the Vinaigrette: mix vinegar, juice, sugar, sesame oil, McCormick® Perfect Pinch® Salt-free Garlic & Herb and salt in small bowl with a wire whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- For the Salad: Remove and discard stems and center ribs from kale. Coarsely chop kale. Rinse kale with cold water. Drain well (if using baby kale no need to remove stem or chop, just rinse and drain).
- Toss kale with the vinaigrette in a large bowl. Using your hands gently rub the kale together to soften the leaves and allow the leaves to absorb the vinaigrette.
- Add the bell peppers, mandarin oranges, almonds and green onions. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Divide among salad plates.
Save it for later! Download the Kale Salad with Asian Vinaigrette.
If you didn’t share it on social, did it even happen? Be sure to snap a photo and share your experience if you give this recipe a try. Tag us on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so we can see all the magic.