Orange Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Learn how to transform a popular ethnic or take out favorite to include more fruits and vegetables and prepare in your own kitchen.
Beyond vitamin C, oranges are a rich source of other vitamins and minerals such as potassium, calcium, and phosphorus, as well as dietary fiber. Carotenoids, which give oranges their bright color, protect against certain cancers, heart disease and age-related macular degeneration.
By using a variety of vegetables, you are getting additional fiber and antioxidants to maximize the health benefits and help prevent against certain chronic diseases.
Utilizing lettuce as a wrap instead of a tortilla or pita bread significantly reduces the amount of calories, fat and sodium in this recipe, and adds additional fiber.
Chicken breasts are an excellent source of lean protein. Lean proteins are much lower in cholesterol and fat than beef.
Key Techniques & Helpful Hints
- For a vegetarian option purchase baked tofu and cut into strips in place of the chicken, this reduces the amount of cholesterol in the recipe.
- Use other favorite vegetables (such as cucumber, broccoli, or yellow squash) in place of the vegetables used in the recipe.
- Making a quick homemade salad dressing is easy, delicious and much better for you than store-bought ones. Once you know the basic technique and ingredient proportions, you can make many variations.
- Try making the dressing in this recipe in Mason jar, add ingredients and shake. Dijon mustard is used as an emulsifier in this dressing.
For the Dressing:
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 teaspoon canola or olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds, optional
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of sea salt
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup shredded radishes
- 1 1/2 cups grilled chicken breast strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
To Assemble the Lettuce Wraps:
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, 12 leaves separated, washed and dried
- For the Dressing: Peel and separate one orange into segments – cut each segment into 1-inch pieces and set aside. Juice the remaining orange – you should have about 1/3 cup of juice.
- Place the orange juice in a small bowl and whisk in the oil, mustard, honey, poppy seeds, pepper and salt to make a dressing.
- For the Filling: In a large bowl toss together the carrots, zucchini, radishes and chicken. Pour dressing over vegetables and stir to coat.
- To Assemble the Lettuce Wraps: Lay the lettuce leaves out and place 1/4-cup of salad on the bottom part of each leaf. Gently fold in the sides around the salad and begin rolling up to form the wrap.
- Place three lettuce wraps on each serving plate and serve.
Save it for later! Download the Orange Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe.
If you didn’t share it on social, did it even happen? Be sure to snap a photo and share your experience if you give this recipe a try. Tag us on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so we can see all the magic.