DIY Plant Based, Dairy Free Latte for National Coffee Day
If you’re a regular coffee drinker who typically goes for a plain drip coffee, National Coffee Day may be your time to splurge. Unfortunately, many specialty coffees come with several pumps of sugar, artificial flavors and usually, dairy which we know a large chunk of our population does not tolerate. So what’s a coffee lover to do on National Coffee Day?
We got you covered.
Instead of trekking down to your next door coffee shop, try making this DIY plant-based, dairy free latte that has all the fun and flavor you’d expect to enjoy on National Coffee Day.
Flavor Your Latte Naturally
If you’re into seasonally flavored lattes, you can avoid all the sugar and artificial ingredient by adding ¼ tsp of dried spices to the espresso grounds before brewing. Try cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin spice blend if you want some Fall in your mug.
Choose Your plant based, Dairy Free Milk
A large percentage of the population is lactose intolerant or chooses not to drink cow’s milk by personal preference. Fortunately, there are many great dairy-free options. Each dairy free milk has a very different flavor and texture, so we recommend trying a few to see which suits you best.
According to Jamie Epting, Morrison’s Systems Clinical Nutrition Manager at St. Peter’s Health Partners, “most plant-based milk contains less fat and calories than cow’s milk and provide different nutrients, like almond milk that is rich in Vitamin E. Most are also fortified with calcium so you won’t lose out.”
For this plant based, dairy free latte we recommend an almond/cashew blend or almond/coconut blend.
How to Make A Latte plant based and Dairy Free
Makes 1 plant based Latte
What you’ll need:
- Espresso maker
- Ground espresso beans (you can grind your own beans, or purchase them pre-ground)
- Dried seasonal spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin spice blend are great options)
- plant based, dairy free milk
1. Using an espresso maker, make 1 shot of espresso.
TIP: If you are making your latte seasonal with fresh spices, add ¼ tsp of dried spice into the espresso grounds before brewing rather than stirring them in after the fact.
2. Steam and froth milk (yes, you can steam plant based milk)
How to Steam and Froth Milk with a Microwave
- Pour the amount of milk you usually use in your latte in a small, microwavable jar.
- Secure jar with lid and shake vigorously.
- Remove the lid (do not place metal in the microwave) and microwave for 30 seconds.
3. Gently pour the steamed milk over the espresso and carefully spoon foam on top of the milk.
4. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Special thanks to our Contributors!
Heidi DeCosmo, Chef
More from Heidi
Jamie Epting MS, RD, CDN
More from Jamie
Join the Morrison Healthcare Family
Morrison is a Compass One Healthcare operating division within Compass Group and has more than 1,200 registered dietitians, 300 executive chefs, and 20,000 professional food service team members. Apply for team member or management positions in one of the best companies to work for today.